Saturday, March 27, 2021

Blow Your Stack Saturday: I'm Not Special or an Inspiration and I Don't Want to Be

Guerrero Words: Dancing… in Ink: The COVID-19 pandemic has stolen a lot from people. It has taken loved ones, work, health, sleep, easy smiles, peace of mind… It has left mi...

I'm a hermit by nature, so isolating doesn't bother me. In fact, even in a town of 154 people, sometimes it's too "people" outside for my liking. 

I mostly have an "it is what is" attitude towards my various physical issues, but I bloody well wish that people would stop calling attention to my walker! 

I bought myself an upright walker so I could walk further without my back and right leg screaming at me. I can now walk a mile in relative comfort if I take brief breaks whereas before the walker I could do a quarter-mile at best. 

I swear sometimes if one more person gives me an "attagirl" when I'm just trying to take a walk in peace, my head will explode so hard that the whole town will be wiped off the map.

I suppose people mean well, but I find it demeaning and the trepidation at being confronted with praise for going out and taking a walk makes me not want to go out. 

I'm just a person taking a walk who has to use a tool so their back doesn't kill them. I don't want special treatment, praise, or pity. I just want to walk in peace.

Anyway, this post inspired me to lay down these thoughts, which means it was thought-provoking, and that's good. So, thank you!

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~




Angry and Ornery
Free-use Image from Pixabay




2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Exactly. If you want to say something, just say "hey, how's it going?" or something like that.
      I tried using a cane, which people would be less likely to comment on, but it didn't cut the mustard. My uncoordinated ass couldn't get the hang of it and it didn't offer enough support. The walker is perfect, but I feel self-conscious about using it.
      It's amazing how often people who "mean well" manage to do bad. I've been guilty of it in the past, and if I could go back and kick myself for it, I would.

      Delete

This is a safe space. Be respectful.