Thursday, April 4, 2024

A to Z Challenge 2024: Day 4: Drugs

 


I wanna be sedated, but for me, the cure is worse than the problem. The kinds of drugs that most people take for anxiety and depression fuck me up even worse than I already am.

Benzodiazepines have a severe rebound effect. Valium works a little differently than the others. Most of them take the edge off, and then about 20 minutes later, I get blasted with a panic attack from hell.

Valium makes me thick as a brick, except if I’m going to the dentist when adrenaline overrides it, so it doesn’t work at all. I’m already prone to nightmares, and while Valium helps me fall asleep nicely, it also intensifies my nightmares.

SSRIs make me manic and psychotic.

So, yeah. For me, the magic pills are bad magic.

Don’t get defensive if you take these medications and they work for you. I’m not passing judgment on you. I’m not you. You’re not me. That’s something you can be thanking whatever deity you worship or fate or the Universe or whatever for.

This post went over 100 words. So what? It’s my party, and I’ll go over 100 words if I want to.

Yeah, I agree; it’s a lame party.

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~

Image by Greg Waskovich from Pixabay
Ornery Owl's coming in fast with a hot take.

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter D

1 comment:

  1. Hi, OO! I'm still making my IWSG rounds, and now it's tomorrow. But your "I want to be sedated .." drew me in. I do take drugs for anxiety and depression, and thank goodness they work for me. But prednisone really messes me up, and unfortunately I had to take it ~ so I appreciate your perspective. Absolutely you can go over 100 words! Good luck with the A-Z!

    ReplyDelete

This is a safe space. Be respectful.