Saturday, April 13, 2024

A to Z Challenge 2024: Day 13: Meal Planning

 

Image by Dorothe from Pixabay

I often see meal planning viewed as a miserable task that women rather than men are saddled with, and I suppose that’s true. I’ve been divorced since 1994, and I didn’t do any meal planning in those days. We mostly ate frozen dinners or takeout. We only lived about a mile from the nearest grocery store and there were multiple casual and fast-food restaurants close at hand.

These days, I find meal planning helps me stay organized. I live way out in the sticks and work from home, so I can’t just pop into the grocery store or order takeout.

Admissibly, if it weren’t for my son and I sharing a home, I wouldn’t bother. I’d just eat sandwiches and frozen dinners or not bother to eat. I don’t do well living alone.

I am that rare woman who enjoys and even covets meal planning, and it certainly isn’t because I’m some sort of trad wife. I’m not any kind of wife. I’m an unapologetic feminist who pushes back against sex stereotypes and prescriptive gender roles. Meal planning helps my chaotic brain stay on target with organizing my day. Also, I’ve found I like cooking, so long as there isn’t too much prep work involved.

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~


Ornery Owl
Free use image from Open Clipart Vectors
"Just like Julia Child, I enjoy cooking with wine. Sometimes the wine even makes it into whatever I'm cooking."


Bitty Bunny
Free use image from Open Clipart Vectors
"I've got a carrot you can use in your next concoction. I taste-tested it for you."


Hangry Wyrm
Free use image from Clker Free Vector Images
"Hey, Ornery, maybe you could cook the carrot in the wine."


Cactus Clem
Free use image from Open Clipart Vectors
"I know your homemade mozzarella experiment ended up more like ricotta, Ornery, but I hope you make it again. Drinkin' all the runoff whey made me feel like a new cactus man!"


Ghost Town Grover
Free use image from Clker Free Vector Images
"I ain't sure how much you can take Clem's assessment of yer cuisine as a compliment, Ornery. He drinks runoff ditch water too."

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter M

2 comments:

  1. I like cooking. Sometimes. I dislike meal planning. What I planned yesterday often has no relationship to what I feel like cooking or eating today.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When it comes to meals, my wife and I are semi planners. Sometimes we've got it all sorted, while at other times its chaos and last minute whatevers. I don't like cooking or planning meals. I just like eating.
    https://dacairns.com.au/blog/f/a-to-z-blogging-challenge-m

    ReplyDelete

This is a safe space. Be respectful.