Monday, April 15, 2024

A to Z Challenge 2024: Day 14: Neurotic Neverland

 

Image by Angelo Giordano from Pixabay

Let’s get this out of the way first.

I believe Michael Jackson was innocent of the crimes he was accused of.

I have no desire to engage in arguments on this subject.

That being said, I will proceed with what I want to discuss in this post.

When I was in my late teens, you couldn’t turn on the radio without hearing Michael Jackson. He was really taking off as a solo performer. Although I enjoyed his catchy tunes, I also envied his popularity and his seemingly effortless confidence. He had an incredible star power that a fuckup like me could never hope to possess.

Years later, when I learned about the anguish Michael hid from the public, I found myself empathizing with him.

Neverland Ranch, in all its over-the-top ostentatiousness and Jackson’s befriending of boys, was his way of trying to give himself the childhood he never had.

Down inside, the superstar I envied was an anxious mess tortured by his own feelings of inadequacy.

Michael Jackson was a lot like me after all.

#AtoZChallenge 2024 letter N

1 comment:

  1. Finding out others, especially public figures, have gone through some of the emotional challenges you have can make you feel like you're not alone. I long for a better childhood too.

    ReplyDelete

This is a safe space. Be respectful.