Thursday, May 16, 2019

Tan Renga Challenge 2019: Day 12: Miscanthus Bud


the Dutchmen, too,
kneel before His Lordship --
spring under His reign.
inevitable forces
to which all must bow someday

by my new banana plant
the first sign of something I loathe --
a miscanthus bud!
all things must have their season
even those things undesired

another year is gone
a traveler's shade on my head,
straw sandals at my feet
straw soon replaced by leather
weatherproof boots are a must

now then, let's go out
to enjoy the snow ... until
I slip and fall!
not such a big deal in youth
in old age a bone may break

Basho & Cie


Notes:
All Hokku stanzas were created by Matsuo Basho (1644 - 1694). All Ageku (closing) stanzas were written by me.
I would like to dedicate this set of poems to my mother's and my late father's friend Richard, who passed away yesterday from complications stemming from ALS. I hope that one day a cure is found for this terrible, debilitating disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a safe space. Be respectful.