Tuesday, March 8, 2022

Tackle It Tuesday: Things I Tackled This Week

 

Image by Melk Hagelslag from Pixabay

It's that time of the whenever I get to it to make a list, check it twice, and find out whether I've been naughty or nice. Or, as 52 Weeks of Writing phrases it, look at last week's goals. What did you achieve? What didn't you achieve?

I'm sure you're surprised to learn that things went off the rails last week, because that certainly never happens to me. But while we sit here Relaxin' with the Miles Davis Quintet, let's ruminate on it.


Here's the link in case you can't see the player.


If you know anything about Miles Davis, you might know that the album title Relaxin' is a bit ironic considering that he was one of the most un-relaxed people ever to walk the Earth. Rumor has it that he was nicknamed "The Prince of Darkness" by his fellow musicians because of his notoriously bad temper. One of his ex-wives, Betty, said that she earned the Davis surname every day that she was married to Miles. Apparently one time towards the end of his life, Miles got so riled up at hospital personnel that he had a stroke. 

I'm not relating these stories to put down Miles Davis. What I'm leading up to is that I've had to work very hard not to be as temperamental as he was. I grew up believing that all families shouted at each other and made digs at each other the way my family did. I was always surprised to encounter families where the parents and children were genuinely supportive of each other. Unfortunately, I think that they were probably the anomaly.

When I realized that my son was pulling away from me as a teenager and genuinely seemed to dislike me, I knew I had to make an effort to get my angry outbursts under control or I was going to lose him. I wasn't physically abusive but I'm ashamed to say that sometimes I was verbally so. I would berate and lecture my son and then feel horrible about it. Fortunately, by the time my son turned 16, I had turned things around. 

"So get to the damn point, Ornery," you may be saying. "What the hell did you accomplish with writing this week?"

Well, Frustrated Reader, I have been kind of all over the place with writing this past week, but I did submit a prose poem/creative nonfiction work to Syncopation Literary Journal, and you can submit work to them too. Check out the specs by following the link.


I discovered Syncopation Literary Journal via The Submission Grinder. It's a helpful tool for discovering publications where you can submit your work and tracking the progress of your submissions. Setting up an account is free.


From what I've heard, Scrivener is a tool that I really should be considering. It's 50 bucks to buy a copy. I think I'll go for the trial version first, but it sounds like it could help me organize my shit so I don't have a bunch of notepad files running wild on my hard drive. I'll give it a go and let you know.

I signed up for a subscription to FanStory so I could enter their contests and get feedback on my work, but holy cow is it expensive! Not only do you have to pay $9 for the monthly subscription but you also have to pay to enter each contest. You can earn FanStory cash by reviewing other writers' work and use that to finance your contest entries. I don't know if it's worth it to keep the membership. It's pretty time-consuming and I don't think I'd be able to afford to participate more than once a month.

I haven't done anything in the way of editing this week. I'm still considering submitting Lucina Entombed to Dragon Soul Press. 

I've decided that the Open Book Blog Hop is wonderful but it's one too many hops for my baked brain. I'm still trying to do too much. At this point, I need to scale back and add things in if possible rather than adding more things.

I made a Dulce de Leche cake with mixed berries today. It's chillin' like a villain in my fridge. I can't wait for dinner. I'm making bean and chorizo tortilla pizzas with cheese and sour cream. 

Miles is done tooting his horn now, so I think it's time for me to slap a Wrap it Up Box on this sucker. 



Here's the link for those who can't see the player.

Until next time, this is Ornery Owl wrapping it up!

Spirit of the Universe, please help me keep my temper in check. Let me direct my anger towards finding solutions to unjust situations rather than belittling and lecturing others. Amen.

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~



Free Use Image from Open Clipart Vectors



Hangry is looking forward to bean and chorizo tortilla pizzas and dulce de leche cake with berries.
Free use image from Open Clipart Vectors

Resource Books:
52 Weeks of Writing

Self-Help Sucks

The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)



Creative Commons License


This work is the intellectual property of Crazy Creatives Cheerleading Camp and Naughty Netherworld Press.

Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. Odysee’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on Odysee. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.

Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.

Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.

Come check out Readers Roost, the online book store featuring works by indie and small press authors. Discover your next great read at the Roost! It's the link you need when you wanna read.

Buy me a coffee

Or buy me a coffee here

Join me on Patreon!
Subscribe for as little as $1 per month.

Get the latest literary happenings and slices of life in your inbox! Now with an exciting new chapter or poem in every issue. You might end up with a one-of-a-kind rarity from the eldritch depths of the Netherworld!






No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a safe space. Be respectful.