Wednesday, October 5, 2022

Insecure Writers Support Group 5 October 2022

 

Image by Fuadi from Pixabay

October 5 question - What do you consider the best characteristics of your favorite genre?

Oddly enough, the weird Lovecraftian fantasy I write as C.L. Hart and the naughty and bawdy erotica I write as Lil DeVille have a common trait that I appreciate.

I don't have to adhere to conventional rules. My characters can be oddballs. They don't even have to be human. They can originate beyond the stars. They can be vampires or werewolves or anything else I can imagine. 

In some ways, the main difference between a C.L. Hart story and a Lil DeVille story is the heat level. There are a lot more platonic connections in the C.L. Hart universe. Let's just say that nobody reads a Lil DeVille story for the platonic connections. 

I enjoy reading political thrillers and regency romance, but I would suck at writing them. I need to be able to transcend the bonds of reality and probably of good taste to express myself.






6 comments:

  1. I really like cross genre books. And always have.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea of certain genres as rule-breaking by default! Happy IWSG day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fun, having two different pseudonyms with different readerships. Plenty of variety!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Without boundaries does allow so much more freedom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I would not thrive as a regency romance writer, either, haha! But you're right--one of the best things about writing in a fantasy genre (or fantasy adjacent) is the freedom.

    Happy ISWG day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that you are being true to yourself and writing what makes you happy!

    ReplyDelete

This is a safe space. Be respectful.