Saturday, March 14, 2020

Blow Your Stack Saturday: Ditch the Borderline Personality Disorder Diagnosis

Image by John Hain from Pixabay

I honestly think the "borderline personality disorder" diagnosis needs to be eradicated. This iffy diagnosis is mostly applied to women. When I read the theory that "borderline personality disorder" is actually a form of complex PTSD, it hit home with me. "Borderline Personality Disorder" is the latter twentieth-century hysteria. I wrote a piece about a traumatic incident that happened to me when I was fifteen and realized that a lot of the acting out I did in my teens could be traced to this incident. However, a lot of it could also be traced to the bullying I endured through my entire fucking childhood and teen years.

I also propose that the word "bullying" be stricken from the lexicon and replaced with a more accurate term:
Abuse.

I was inspired to write this after reading a post on The Mighty regarding borderline personality disorder.




Free Use Image by Open Clipart Vectors on Pixabay

2 comments:

  1. I just read a list of the symptoms and that it is diagnosed based only on those symptoms. Sounds like behavior someone exhibits after abuse and a catchall sort of diagnosis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I think it falls into the same basket of Freudian fuckery as penis envy and his idea that everyone wants to have sex with their parents. The guy was a coke-head. The more I read about him, the more awful I find him. Apparently the apple didn't fall far from the tree with his daughter.

      Delete

This is a safe space. Be respectful.