Friday, February 1, 2019

Views From the Bald Patch: Measure wisely

Views From the Bald Patch: Measure wisely: When I posted about progress and motivation last week, a comment there reminded me of the darker side of targets and measurements.

This is a great post about goals and motivation and how going overboard with them can be detrimental. This was my reply to the post.

I am a horrible perfectionist when it comes to myself. If I am not constantly creating, revising, working, doing, I can become absolutely vicious with myself. My thyroid burnt itself out by the time I was 15, and I have problems with becoming fatigued very easily. I heard the word "lazy" so often when I was growing up that I tend to become angry with myself for resting at all. Combined with obsessive-compulsive disorder, I am constantly chasing myself around in circles, and I never measure up to my own standards.

2 comments:

  1. Measuring and perfectionism paralyzes me. I can't finish things because I can't make them perfect. I am working on changing that but perfectionism is as evil as multitasking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's something that I really struggle with. I learned it from my father, but I also think it's kind of an innate thing with me. My father died believing he was a failure, which he wasn't.
      Unfortunately, my father always harped on the idea that if you weren't wealthy, you weren't successful. This makes my current financial position even more difficult.

      Delete

This is a safe space. Be respectful.