Friday, August 16, 2019

Fat Friday #13: Dismissal of Fat Women's Health Concerns

"Health Professionals" be like

Excess exposure to cortisol can result in endocrine problems such as Cushing's syndrome. One of the presenting symptoms of Cushing's syndrome is weight gain and difficulty losing weight. Yet most doctors will scold larger women, admonishing them to "just lose weight", regardless of what the patient tells them is going on. 
I have issues with every endocrine system in my body. I have hypothyroidism and diabetes. I had PCOS, but being two years post-menopausal, my ovaries are now atrophied. I have been begging doctors for years to screen me for Cushing's syndrome, but they refuse to do so.
I don't care about being thin. With my endocrine system, I'll never be thin unless something catastrophic happens. What I do care about is the fact that excess cortisol exposure can lead to heart problems. Currently, my heart is fine. I would like to keep it that way for as long as possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a safe space. Be respectful.