Friday, September 7, 2018

NaHaiWriMo 2018 #4: Picture of the Photographer



Notes:
Images copyright Cara Hartley/The Real Cie. I allow the use of my photographs in other creative blogs with credit to me. 
The person in the photograph is my 28-year-old son, Michael, who is taking photographs of some specimens at the Denver Botanic Gardens. Michael has overcome a lot of challenges in his life, and I am very proud of him. He has worked hard to manage depression and anxiety without medication, as the medications don't work for him. Although he still deals with these issues, he has developed excellent coping skills.
Psych meds work well for some people, but they don't work for everyone. In Michael's case, they don't work at all. In my case, they make me manic and psychotic, which I am usually not. 
People tend to want to "fix" those who have neurological and psychological differences. Instead of trying to "fix" us, which tends to make us become defensive and shuts down conversations, try instead to understand our perspective, which opens the doors to understanding and possibility.

~Cie~


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a safe space. Be respectful.