Friday, October 30, 2020

disability

  

Free use image by John Hain on Pixabay


there goes that weird woman, the people say
she's curvy, but not in the right way
an imagination that's wild
is all right in a child
but she should know better by now

she doesn't make any money
she walks kind of funny
she has a crooked leg
her kind should be forced to beg
she really ought to know better

I'm spontaneous, she used to say
but the truth is, she wasn't that way
her sense of priorities is bent
the money she brought in was fast spent
because she didn't know better

she deserves to be in poverty
because she can't rein in her anxiety
she should be ashamed to show her face
since she failed in the rat race
she really ought to know better

she's everything that no-one wants
hiding in the house she haunts
anybody so odd
is fatally flawed
and she really ought to know better

how audacious of her to believe
that her suffering should be relieved
she deserves to be shamed
for her broken body and brain
she really ought to know better

~cie~



The fact that people are made to feel ashamed for needing assistance is unconscionable. I worked mostly in physically demanding jobs for 35 years. Now that I am no longer able to work, I am seen as worthless and the process for attempting to get disability is ridiculously long and drawn out. They really do not want to help anybody. 

It is difficult not to get discouraged. Every day I hope that maybe today someone will buy one of my books. But no-one ever does. I'd say I don't know why I bother, but I do. Its because I don't know how to do anything else and I don't like to do anything else. I know, you should do it for yourself and not the money, and I do, but sometimes it sucks when you know that you are just spinning your wheels like a goddamn zombie hamster that's too stupid to realize it's dead.

Want more disenchanted poetry?
Who doesn't?
Get it here!


This poem was posted to these places:
http://poetryofthenetherworld.blogspot.com
https://lbry.tv/@poetryofthenetherworld:9


LBRY is a decentralized content marketplace. I price the PDF versions of my work at approximately half of the Kindle price because I receive the entire amount rather than a royalty percentage.

You can get a free LBRY account through this link. You can earn LBC for viewing content on LBRY as well as from selling your content.

https://lbry.tv/$/invite/@naughtynetherworldpress:d


The Icky, Sticky, Nit-Picky Legalese If You Please (Or Don't Please)



Creative Commons License

This work is the intellectual property of Naughty Netherworld Press/Poetry of the Netherworld.

Reblogging is acceptable on platforms that allow it. LBRY’s reblog function is called repost, which makes things confusing since reposting is considered a no-no on most platforms. It’s fine to share the post using the repost function on LBRY. It is not okay to copy-paste the material into a new post.

Sharing a link to the post is acceptable.

Quoting portions of the post for educational or review purposes is acceptable if proper credit is given.

1 comment:

  1. How I wish that the lack of empathy and kindness wasn't so prevalent. In Governments AND in the wider population.

    ReplyDelete

This is a safe space. Be respectful.