Friday, March 12, 2021

Familial Racism

 


This is a response to a post by Rallentanda.

https://rallentanda.blogspot.com/2021/03/weekly-scribblings-61-poets-stories.html

My family is white as paste. One of my cousins married a black woman. One would think that it would be the oldsters who would be appalled, but my grandmother (RIP) simply said "it wasn't done in my day, but that doesn't mean it shouldn't be done." It was the younger relatives who were awful about it.

The marriage didn't survive. In part because of my cousin's wife's depression after giving birth to conjoined twins who died a few hours after being born, but in greater part because of pressure and lack of support from family.

At my grandmother's funeral, I overheard my other cousins gossiping about my cousin's ex-wife, whom I'd met for the first time and who was trying her hardest to get along. It made me feel ashamed to be part of my family.

~Ornery Owl Has Spoken~



Free use image by Open Clipart Vectors on Pixabay


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a safe space. Be respectful.