Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Words to Feed Your Soul

In fanfiction there is a difference between being a good writer and a popular writer. 
Just because you can write a well-structured story with dynamic and consistent writing and characters doesn’t mean you will be popular. And sometimes stories that have disorganized plots, mediocre writing, and/or OOC characters will be held up as the greatest things to ever exist. 
Just because your writing isn’t popular doesn’t mean you are a bad writer. Don’t ever compromise who you are, who your characters are, your plot, your writing style, anything for the sake of readership.
There are popular writers everywhere. But there are only so many good writers.
I agree with the person who said that this should apply to all writing, not only fan fiction.
I needed to hear this so much. It actually brought tears to my eyes. I like the work I create, and I try to make sure it is well constructed and interesting to read. I use writing prompts and I share my work, but it is very rare that I receive any kind of comment.
I am not a young writer. I am 51 years old. I work an average of 48 hours a week, and I try to find time to write in spite of that because, for reasons I can’t entirely explain, writing is very important to me. 
I realize that my writing will never be popular or even published. But I put my heart into it, and sometimes it hurts that no one ever even gives me a “good job.” That isn’t why I write, but it would be nice to hear it sometimes.
Again, thank you for these thoughts. What you have said is critically important.
~Cie~
Originally posted to Netherworld Writers' Guild
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a safe space. Be respectful.