Thursday, November 8, 2018

The Cheese Grates It: Why I Wouldn't Take a Cure for my Bipolar Disorder


Now, here is something that will blow y'all's minds.
If there were a cure for bipolar disorder, I wouldn't take it.
I know a lot of folks are saying "but why wouldn't you want to fix this thing that is wrong with you?"
First, you may have heard about people who have had procedures done to restore their sight or hearing after years of being blind or deaf, and they have trouble adapting to the world with this new sense. They have learned to "hear" by feeling vibrations, or to "see" by touch and sound. The new sense throws their perception off. 
I would not know how to think and feel without bipolar disorder. I would have a lot of trouble adapting. I might even become suicidal. 
Further, I have come to believe that this anomaly doesn't make me "wrong." It makes me different. The world is too quick to deem difference in cognition or physical ability a bad thing which needs to be repaired. I think it would be a better world if we embraced people who deviate from the norm rather than shaming them into conformity or isolation.
Would I take a cure for my endocrine problems?
In a heartbeat! I would love to not have to stab myself in the abdomen with a needle before every meal. I would love to not have to worry about whether I will one day develop diabetic neuropathy or start losing my vision because of diabetes. I would love to not have increased risk of vascular malfunction because of this dumb disease. I would love to have a thyroid that actually works. I would rather not have had polycystic ovarian syndrome. My endocrine system is a cluster fuck. If someone could cure this mess, I would be thrilled.
If someone could cure my glaucoma, I would be over the moon.
I don't want my bipolar disorder cured. I have navigated the world with it for pretty much my entire life. To completely change the way my brain works would be frightening and, I think, detrimental. 
But if someone could start working on cures for my physical ailments, I'd really appreciate it.

 ~The Cheese Hath Grated It~


No comments:

Post a Comment

This is a safe space. Be respectful.